Bangkok Baby-Friendly Malls for the Nursing Mom

User Rating: 4.3 (2 votes)

As anyone who has ever Googled “Things to do in Bangkok” knows, shopping figures pretty highly on the list. Bangkok is a shopper’s paradise. And there’s no reason why mom and baby shouldn’t take advantage of that. However, all things are not created equal. There are many places that are accommodating and suitable for infants or small children; and there are many which are not — the Klong Toey wet market, for example, springs to mind.

Pre-baby, I’d never given any thought as to what it was like to go shopping with a newborn. My first forays into the world beyond my front door post-delivery involved, what I can only describe as, a type of logistical preparation typically reserved for military invasions into hostile territory.

Expecting Expats - Baby-Friendly Malls For the Nursing Mom

As a nursing mom, my main concern was ‘timing.’ By timing, I mean that I thought that I could only go out in between feedings. And when feedings are only two hours apart, that can severely limit your options. I was suffering from a raging case of cabin fever. Something had to give.

My son was about 10 days old the first time we went out to a mall. Breastfeeding was going well at home but I was worried about breastfeeding in public. What I soon discovered, to my great joy, was that many of the larger shopping centers in Bangkok have nursing rooms.

Here is my personal list of favourite malls in Bangkok which cater to the nursing mom:

What each of these places has in common is that the nursing rooms are clean, clearly signposted and each mall is easily accessible by BTS.

Let’s be clear here: I am not an exhibitionist but neither do I view breastfeeding as something that is unnatural. Out of necessity I’ve breastfed in taxis, in restaurants, at the beach and even once at Ikea. I was pleased to discovered that Thai people, although curious when they see a Westerner doing it, generally don’t bat an eyelash in regards to breastfeeding in public. I invested in a few good nursing covers and 9 times out 10 I would wager that most people around me didn’t even know what I was doing (I once walked around MBK for half an hour breastfeeding under a cover with my son in an ERGO and no one was the wiser).

So to every other new breastfeeding mom out there I say…go on! Get out there!

Please visit Expecting Expats again soon or subscribe to our newsletter below to read a follow up on this blog post: “The best malls to for getting around with your toddler”.

My name is Jodie. I'm a 38 year old Canadian working and living in Bangkok, Thailand. My husband and I are both international teachers - though I'm taking this year off to be a full-time mom.

When we're not busy with other people's kids, we try our hand at raising our own very curious nearly four year old son and his 9 and half month old brother. When it comes to parenting, like most of us, I’m making a lot of it up as I go along .

17 Comments

1. Emily Freeman  /  November 8, 2012, 11:36 am Reply

Once again Jodie doesn’t disappoint! Always a pleasure to read.

• Jodie  /  November 12, 2012, 10:49 pm Reply

Thanks for reading Emily. I hope you come back to read my next article on how to start your own play group in Bangkok.

2. Jodie  /  November 12, 2012, 10:48 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment Emily. I hope you come back to read my next article about the benefits of play groups for the new mother and how to start your own.

3. Waheed  /  November 23, 2012, 11:08 pm Reply

Hello Jodie, I was googling about buying ‘nursing covers’ in Bangkok for my wife and ended up to this site, can you please suggest me few shops where I can get them :) ? Thanks.

4. Jodie  /  November 24, 2012, 11:48 am Reply

Hi Waheed,

I can recommend Naturally Bebe (http://www.naturallybebe.com/index.php?op=product-index&mcid=3&cid=20) on Thong Lor Soi 13. They have a good selection of quality import products. Also, once you find one that works for you, they’re pretty easy to make and you might want to get a few made in your favourite fabrics.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
    Jodie

5. Waheed  /  November 24, 2012, 6:18 pm Reply

Thank you very much Jodie from both of us ( me and my wife :) ).

6. jodiecommons  /  November 27, 2012, 1:32 am Reply

I hope you found what you wanted.

7. Eric Low  /  January 28, 2013, 3:35 pm Reply

Hi Jodie, we have an 8-month old son and we are thinking of visiting Bangkok end-Feb (he’ll be 9 months then). It’ll be our first trip with him and we have the usual parent jitters :)

I found your article very informative and I hope you can share your thoughts on…
    … We’ll probably travel around using cabs and the occasional mrt – are these public transports baby friendly?
    … Chatukchak Market (did I spell it right?) with the lil’ one – good idea / bad idea?
    … Any specific No-Go places for parents with babies?

Thanks

• Jodie  /  February 2, 2013, 11:12 am Reply

Hi Eric,

Public transport in Bangkok is baby-friendly but not exactly stroller-friendly. Even putting a folded up stroller in the trunk of a cab can be problematic if the trunk space is already taken up by a gas cylinder. Few MTR or BTS stations have elevators but all have loads of stairs. A baby-carrier is your most practical option. When taking cabs, please know that backseat seat-belts are a rarity. So even if you are traveling with a car seat, you won’t be able to secure it properly. That said, I’ve been told that if you pre-order a taxi directly through the dispatch, you can request a car with seat-belts. Again, I’ve never done this.

As for Chatuchuk Market, we go about every other weekend on our way to Or Tok Kor (the fresh food market nearby). I like to go early in the morning (8-9am) to beat the worst of the heat and crowds. The trade off is that maybe 25% of the shops aren’t open that early in the day.

Other than the obvious, more dubious corners (think Hangover II) of the city, I can’t think of any places off the top of my head that would be No-Go areas for families. Although, you might want to skip any khlong boat trips this time around if only for the noise factor. The engines on those boats can be pretty load for anyone’s ears, let along a little babe.

Wishing you safe travels,

Jodie

8. Eric Low  /  February 14, 2013, 8:59 am Reply

Thanks much Jodie, very helpful info. We have postponed our trip to a little later in the year when junior should be more mobile :)

Cheers

9. Zenithphuong  /  September 29, 2014, 1:29 pm Reply

hi Jodie,
    as emporium has a large part under construction, taxi queue at paragon is always long. central chitlom is a bit high end… im thinking to take my baby to central world but i couldnt seem to locate the nursing room there… you have any idea??? many thanks.

• admin  /  October 1, 2014, 4:23 pm Reply

Hi. We have contacted Central World and they have indicated the following locations available for nursing:

6th floor – next to the toilet near BBQ Plaza

Zen – on the 6th floor in the baby zone

Isetan on the 4th floor in the baby zone

We hope this information helps.

The Expecting Expats Team

10. Ela  /  April 23, 2015, 5:43 am Reply

Hi Jodie! Such a nice article! I’d like to ask you if Platinum mall has a breastfeeding station? is it easy to ask locals where a breastfeeding station is? Thanks a lot!

• admin  /  April 24, 2015, 11:27 am Reply

Hello and thank you for your comment and question.

We have contacted Platinum Mall. They do not have a breastfeeding station. They recommend that women who need to breastfeed use the diaper changing room inside the women’s rest room on any floor in Platinum Tower II (the new building).

We hope you find this information helpful. The Expecting Expats Team

11. Yoyo  /  March 4, 2016, 5:27 pm Reply

So happy to read this priceless advice on nursing room. I supposed for malls w nursing room, they would have diaper changing table as well? Anyone can advise about terminal 21? Read somewhere that it has complimentary stroller on loan, I supposed diaper changing and nursing facilities should be available too?

12. Chy  /  August 16, 2016, 3:00 am Reply

Is there nursing / breastfeeding room in suvarnabhumi airport? Thanks :)

• admin  /  September 7, 2016, 9:52 am Reply

Hello and thank you for your comment and question.

Suvarnabhumi airport does not have a nursing/breastfeeding room, but both female and male bathrooms have changing stations. We hope this answer has helped.