Where to shop for children’s clothing in Bangkok

User Rating: 3.5 (9 votes)

Shopping for kids clothes in Bangkok doesn’t have to break the bank. Are you looking for those cute little Carter’s onesies? Laura Ashley dresses? Benetton shorts? I’m here to tell you that you certainly don’t have to pay department store prices for brand names when it comes to kids clothing.

Where to shop for kids in Bangkok

Here are two of my ‘go-to’ places when it comes to kids’ clothing:

Bobae Tower and the surrounding market

Bobae (pronounced: ‘bo-bay’) is a great place to find . . . well, just about anything apparel related for everyone in the family but especially kids. There isn’t necessarily one floor dedicated to children’s apparel so you will have to explore a bit to find what appeals to you.

Bobae is advertised as a wholesale market but many, many stores will sell retail. Most of them have a dual pricing system. By this I mean that there is one price if you want to buy one item and another price of you want to buy three or more items. For example, a little dress for a 1yr old might have a sticker on it that says ‘150/180 Baht’; meaning it costs 180B for one and 150B for three or more. This doesn’t mean that you have to buy three of the same outfit. You could buy the same dress is three different sizes or you could buy three different items in the same size. And while the merchants are understandably not that flexible with their prices when you’re only buying one item…the more you buy, the more powerful your bargaining position becomes.

I find this place to be particularly good for newborn and infant apparel (onesies, sleepers, shirt/shorts combos, bibs, etc.). I’ve picked up brands such as Laura Ashley, Ralph Lauren, Gap and Carter’s here at a fraction of the department store prices.

Bobae Tower, and the outdoor market in particular, are also fabulous for finding seasonal clothing (for the whole family) at fantastic prices. Think Songkran, Chinese New Year, or Loy Krathong.

Directions

Khlong boat: Easily accessible via khlong boat from the Sukhumvit area. Located on the Golden Mount Line, the stop is called ‘Bobe Market’. Click here for Transit Bangkok’s guide to khlong boats.

MRT: Hua Lamphong and then a tuk-tuk.

Taxi: This is a well-known market and any decent driver should know where this is.

Srinakharinwirot University Thursday Market

This is my new favourite market! To call it the ‘Thursday’ market is a little misleading. Due to popular demand, the market now runs on Tuesdays as well, albeit without much of the fresh produce and with limited fresh food.

I never fail to walk out of this place with more goodies than I came for. And to me, that’s the mark of a great market!

Among other things, I find this place great for kids clothes. There is a great mix of vendors who sell local and foreign designed kids clothes. Just last week, I bought by boys 2 Gap shirts, 1 Burberry shirt, 1 Ralph Lauren shirt and 1 pair of Benetton shorts for 1,000B. Yeah, they’re probably last season’s but they’re the real deal. I’ve even bought items from brands that don’t have outlets here in Thailand (but who do have factories either here or in Cambodia) such as Target. This market is also good if you’re looking for swimsuits, dance costumes or toys for your little ones. And, of course, mommy will probably find something she likes as well!

Directions

Map
The university and the market, can be accessed via Asoke or Sukhumvit Soi 23

Pratunam market

Pratunam market is a jack of all trades. Located in the intersection of Ratchaprop and Petchburi (or, if this makes is easier, behind the Amari Watergate Hotel), this street market is jam packed with clothes at affordable prices. And yes, this includes several stalls with baby clothes. Being one of the cheaper wholesale markets, Pratunam is a great option for those who want cute baby clothes, but don’t want their wallet going into dry season. In fact, many expats love this market because it sells internationally manufactured clothes at marked down prices.

Directions

BTS or bus

Though not directly on the BTS line, the nearest stop is Chit Lom, and a bus station that has buses going to Pratunam market.

Map

Intersection of Ratchaprop and Petchburi roads to Ratchaprarop Soi 3

My name is Jodie. I'm a 38 year old Canadian working and living in Bangkok, Thailand. My husband and I are both international teachers - though I'm taking this year off to be a full-time mom.

When we're not busy with other people's kids, we try our hand at raising our own very curious nearly four year old son and his 9 and half month old brother. When it comes to parenting, like most of us, I’m making a lot of it up as I go along .

20 Comments

1. Nadia  /  June 9, 2013, 1:14 am Reply

Thanks for this information Jodie. I was wondering about the cost of kids clothing as we have three young children.

2. Leanne  /  July 9, 2013, 12:56 pm Reply

Thank you for sharing. I went to bobae last week but couldn’t find any ralph lauren or gap. Do u remember which floor or section u went to? And for the Thursday market, is it a noon market that is located behind Grammy tower? Much appreciated your reply,,,got 3 kids here and wanna save some $$$.

• Jodie  /  July 10, 2013, 5:53 pm Reply

Hi Leanne,

Regarding BoBae, it seems to me that it can be hit or miss when it comes to what brands a particular store is stocking on any given day. But I do remember a shop directly to the left of the main entrance escalator on the second or third (?) floor. This shop used to have the odd Carter’s and other name brands. Other than that, I treat BoBae like a thrift store – you really have to dig to find the treasure.

As for the Thursday market, I’m not familiar with Grammy tower. The market is held right in the courtyard of the university and can be seem and accessed right from Asoke road, maybe a ten minute walk north of Sukhumvit Road. The market is more of a morning affair and I’m told that it starts to close down around noon. Honestly, I’ve only ever been there between 8:30 to maybe 11:00am at the latest.

Hope this helps!
      Jodie

• David  /  August 28, 2014, 3:15 pm Reply

I have recently posted a message and I forgot to ask you if you know where in Bangkok can I buy a portable cot? As I said in my previous post, we have to stay in Bangkok 3 or 4 months.

Kind regards

David Faba

• admin  /  August 28, 2014, 3:21 pm Reply

Hello David,

There are some Facebook groups where people sell second hand things in the Bangkok vicinity. This is a great one:

We will ask around and if we hear anything we will let you know.

Hope this helps!

The Expecting Expats Team

• David  /  August 28, 2014, 9:10 pm

Thanks!

3. Cady  /  August 15, 2013, 6:58 pm Reply

Hi jodie,

Your article is so helpful.
    I would like to know the “Srinakharinwirot University Thursday Market” open at what time until what time?
    Tks

4. Jodie  /  August 16, 2013, 2:28 pm Reply

Hi Cady,

As far as I know, the market is open from around 8am until about midday.

Jodie

5. Sali  /  March 10, 2014, 7:13 am Reply

Hi Jodie
    Do you know if Carter’s baby clothes are sell in Thailand ? Please I would love o buy from there

6. Jodie  /  March 10, 2014, 4:35 pm Reply

Hi Sali,
    Carter’s do sell some wonderfully cute onesies, don’t they? And yes, Carter’s is widely available in the children’s sections of the major department stores in Bangkok. For example, there is a whole section of Carter’s products at Paragon Department store (located behind the Mothercare section and across from the carseats and travel cots- or at least that’s where it was the last time that I was there). That being said, a newborn Carter’s onesie will cost you roughly 450Baht at Paragon, but only between 100-200Baht in the markets. I have found that the stock at places like Bobae is maybe a season old. But onesie’s don’t really ever go out of style, do they? :)

• Edwin  /  July 24, 2014, 3:02 pm Reply

Hi , do have the address in thail for BOBAE. I m currently at bangkok

• admin  /  July 24, 2014, 3:21 pm Reply

Hello.

The address for Bobae Tower and Market is:

English: 488 Bobae Tower, Damrongrak Road, Klong Mahanak, Pomprab, Bangkok 10100

Thai: 488, ถ.ดำรงรักษ์, คลองมหานาค, เขตป้อมปราบศัตรูพ่าย, กรุงเทพมหานคร, 10100

• David  /  August 28, 2014, 2:29 pm Reply

Good morning,

My partner and I are expecting twins and due to legal paper work and embassy issues we will have to stay 3 or 4 months in Bangkok, I must confess that finding a right apartment with a fair price is being very very difficult; could you please help us with this issue? We would be more that grateful.

Warm regards

David

7. ivy  /  May 20, 2014, 5:55 pm Reply

hi jodie
    am also new here expatriate , we are expecting our first child, were can i get maternity clothes, feeding bottles, breastpump, baby cot ,toys,baby blanket, just to mention a few heeeeeeelp

8. Jodie  /  May 21, 2014, 7:26 pm Reply

Hi Ivy,
    First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am so happy to see that an article that I wrote a year ago is still reaching people. As for maternity wear, I would refer you to an article I wrote even earlier. Here is the link: http://www.expectingexpats.com/2012/12/07/shopping-for-maternity-clothes-bangkok-thailand/

As for your other questions:

-feeding bottles- Avent products (my bottle of choice) are available in all better department stores. Paragon has a great selection, as does Zen in Central World. Last I was in Bangkok, I saw them for sale just about anywhere quality baby products were sold. I even saw them for sale in pharmacies. I’m based in Phnom Penh now but a friend told me that the ‘children’s section’ of Emporium was under reconstruction as recently as the end of April. I bet when that reopens it will be something to see!
    -breastpump- These are widely available throughout Bangkok (again in the better department stores). My first suggestion would be to buy a battery one: trust me, I used a manual with my first child and it was fine – but the battery one is so much better! Secondly, many baby products in Thailand seem to fall victim of the ridiculous “luxury tax”. If at all possible, go on line, order the pump you want (and this goes for baby monitors as well) and have it delivered to a family member who is coming out for the birth. That’s what I did.
    -baby cot- We had our cot and changing table bespoke made via Mother Goose. I know, that sounds extravagant, but it really wasn’t. I priced everything out and we paid about 200USD more to have something beautiful, functional and long-lasting made for us rather than buy something in the department store that had cheesy teddybears and rainbows all over it and was made from pressboard. We had a bed-cot made in solid pine (which, ironically, had to be imported from China. It probably would have been cheaper to have it made in teak or illegally felled rosewood). We love what they make for us and son number two is currently sleeping in that bed (5 years later). http://www.mothergoose-thailand.com/ Last I knew, they are currently located on Thonglor Soi 13 (down the road from Samitevej).
    -toys-Don’t bother. I once wrote a post about What Makes a Great Parenting Book? (http://www.expectingexpats.com/2013/01/30/what-makes-a-great-parenting-book/). I love this book. And there is a whole section dedicated to how the toy industry is pulling a great big one over our collective parenting eyes. First of all, you will most likely receive more newborn friendly toys from friends and family than you’ll know where to put. Seriously. Secondly, newborns don’t necessarily need toys. Or at least not in the sense that we view “toys”. Put a bell bracelet on his or her wrists or ankles. If you’re a baby you’re thinking, “Cool! What’s this?” I actually made a ‘cereal box mobile’ , as described in Dr. White’s book. Best money I ever spent on cereal!
    -blankets- Again, with my first child, I did a lot of ‘trial and error’ before finding the “perfect” blanket. My preference is for the Mothercare ‘waffle’ blanket, Like I said, I did a lot of research as well. And what it all came down to was a blend of what I felt was safe and what my baby preferred. I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that once a child can roll over blankets are not advisable. I prefer GrowBags or sleep-sacks as they are generically known. http://gro.co.uk/grobag-baby-sleep-bags .My 29 month old still uses one. I love sleep sacks for three very important reasons. 1) When combined with a long-sleeved onesie they help protect against mosquito bites. 2) There is minimal risk of baby getting tangled up and suffocating- when compared to traditional crib sheets, blankets and bedding. 3) Putting my child in a sleep-sack every night is part of the created ritual that lets him know that it is bedtime. It has become a Pavlovian response, when he even sees the sleep-sack, he starts to yawn. Like I said, I did a lot of research and it turns out that even before the “Back to Sleep” campaign, Scandinavian countries historically had a much lower SIDS death rate than the rest of the ‘western world’. They have also had a long tradition of using these sleep-sacks. Now, that being said, I am also a huge supporter of ‘swaddling’. I bought all the really expensive swaddling blankets with my first son. And I bought so many because he was spitting up on one or pooping on the other… well you get my point. With my second son, I simply went to a random fabric seller on the corner of Sukhumvit and Asoke, chose a bolt of fabric that was soft yet had some elasticity to it, and said, “Cut me a square meter of that.” Job done. I used that to swaddle him until he was done wanting to be swaddled. And, not for nothing, your kid WILL let you know when they don’t want to be swaddled anymore. LOL

And that brings me to two questions that you didn’t bring up but that are supremely important. First of all, once you decide on what sort of cot or crib you’re going to buy, you need to think carefully about the mattress that you will choose to go along with it. And secondly, how are you going to get your little one around town?? I wrote a five part series on the best ‘”baby gadgets” and my #1 was a good baby-carrier. Check it out here http://www.expectingexpats.com/2013/01/25/my-top-5-essential-gadgets-and-stuff-for-a-baby-1-a-baby-carrier/. I still stand by my preference for the Ergo. Sadly, just this month, we’ve ‘retired’ the very one and only Ergo that we carried both our sons around in.

Well Ivy, I hope that I’ve at least given you some good advice and some things to think about.

All the best,

Jodie

9. Siri  /  September 8, 2014, 2:32 pm Reply

Hi Jodie, thanks for writing .. we are arriving in bkk shortly with our 15 month girl and wondering if there are any organic clothes avail and biodegradable nappies without lots of nasty chemicals? appreciate your response, thanks

10. Jodie  /  September 8, 2014, 6:02 pm Reply

Let me be among the first to welcome your family to the Land of Smiles and the City of Angels.

To answer your question, more and more quality retailers are, indeed, stocking organic cotton clothing. I would start with shops such as Naturally Bébé on Thonglor Soi 13 (near Bumrungrad Hospital). If they don’t have what you are looking for, they should be able to steer you in the right direction. Alternatively, try the children’s departments in larger department stores such as Paragon and Central World.

Biodegradable nappies are a little harder to come by. Having said that, my local Villa Supermarket on Sukhumvit Soi 11 (sometimes) stocks a brand of products called Seventh Heaven. Their website (http://www.seventhgeneration.com/) claims, “The First Disposable Diapers Made with Pure Unbleached Cotton. Featuring a backsheet made with pure unbleached cotton and no petrochemicals.” Despite the price differential with other, similar, products, Seventh Heaven wipes and nappies fly off the shelves. And as crazy as it sounds, I’ve had some (albeit small) success with bringing a printed picture of a product (or even better an old package with the barcode) to the store manager and asking him or her to restock that product.

And last but not least, I would encourage you to look into becoming a member of BAMBI (Bangkok Mothers & Babies International: http://www.bambiweb.org/en/). The moms and dads on this site are a wealth of information and a great source of gently used secondhand gear.

All the best,

Jodie

11. King  /  January 18, 2015, 6:38 am Reply

Please, where can I get a store to buy baby clothes that I can re sell in Nigeria. Be cause I want to start the business. Thanks

• admin  /  January 21, 2015, 12:53 pm Reply

Hello and thank you for your questions. Expecting Expats does not have this information. You would have to contact individual shops or manufacturers in Thailand and explore export/import requirements directly with them. Best of luck in your business.

The Expecting Expats Team

• Jodie  /  January 21, 2015, 7:57 pm Reply

Hi King,

While I have no experience at all in the import/export business, as I stated in the article, Bobae market offers discounts and special prices if you buy in bulk.

All the best,